Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Measure twice, cut once


Ladies and gents, I wanted to change it up a bit on today’s post. This one’s for my Grandad, on what would have been his 85th birthday. He was a larger than life guy who was right at the heart of the family. I am the oldest of his five Grandchildren and had a real creative connection with him. He was a big inspiration to me in my younger years and continues to influence my approach to my hobbies and other practical work.

He was a highly skilled carpenter by trade, but could turn his hand to literally anything. Grandad spent a lot of his time in his workshop in the back garden, tinkering with all kinds of things. He would do whatever he could for you and was always making up all kinds of bits for us. He was equally talented with a pencil and a paintbrush and I’ve got a lot of fond memories of sitting with him drawing and painting all kinds of things.

A particular piece of advice of his that always in my mind, is ‘Measure twice, cut once’. Simple advice, but advice that I’ve been glad to have heeded on a great number of occasions and something that I’ll be passing on my kids for sure.

I could reminisce forever, but wanted to round it out by saying he’s always in my thoughts and I miss him.

Peace guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment