Tuesday, 11 September 2012

A call to WAAAAAAAGH!! (Part 2!)

Hey everyone,

As promised, here's the second instalment of the Ork Kill Team post.

I really liked the new Ork Bomba kit when it was released and used the Kill Team as justification for picking one up. I tend to find that if I buy pieces without a real purpose, they languish in the box and eventually get demoted to the attic or under the bed.

This version is an upgraded version of the Dakkajet, fitted with an extra set of twin-linked shootas, assembled in a slightly different fit than the GW demo piece. The kit is really flexible, allowing multiple possible positions for the wings and rear tail pieces to be attached to the fusilage, as well as a choice of cockpit screens, rear gunner positions/engine covers and a host of other options. This way, no Ork aircraft in your force needs to look like any other, complementing their ramshackle approach to things.

For the pilot, I opted for the Tom-Cruise-esque aviators and headset. The finished version was re-painted, after originally following the painting guide published in White Dwarf. Although green skin itself isn't wholly realistic, the first version looked way too cartoony, so repainted him in the same method used on my Ork/Ripper Swarm marker.

The plane itself was spray-undercoated with Army Painter fur brown. I had originally intended to use Leather Brown, but Maelstrom didn't have any stock and I was typically impatient, so opted for the different shade and it actually worked out better, I think. The first basecoat was Mephiston Red, sprayed on with the airbrush (best seen in the shot above during a test game).

All the metal sections were basecoated Tin Bitz, before the whole model was washed with Ogryn Flesh. This later proved to be a slight oversight as the newer wash range is less opaque, and you can afford to be a bit more liberal on applications like this. Subsequently, I ended up repainting the majority of the armour plates, minus the joins, which was a pain in the can.... but there you go, a lesson for the next project...

The metal areas were drybrushed with Boltgun Metal and the red plates had some quite liberal edge highlights. I'd planned to heavily weather the piece, but wanted the edge details to be strong enough that they would show through in places. 

As nice as they are, I didn't want to cover the Dakkajet in the traditional chequered patterns, so opted for a more minimalistic approach to the decals. I used the normal two-part treatment of Micro-Set and Micro-Sol to get the best adhesion and finish on the transfer, although I first applied some gloss varnish to the area that the decal was going to sit. Once it was all dry, I used Lahmian Medium to seal the image and take off the gloss finish. I'd been a bit sceptical of this extra step, but I reckon it made a difference.

I used a mixture of red and brown weathering powders, very kindly donated by Dan, to weather the jet. I added some darker brown and black to the mix around the engine vents, exhausts and any other areas I figured would get particularly grubby.

I used the same muzzle flashes on a couple of the gun barrels that I'd used on the Ork Boys. I've experimented with painting these on some other figures, but opted for straight Ceramite White, which sems to do the job nicely.

This was one of the less spectacular moments in the Dakkajets short existence. It was piloted straight towards the chaos gun line and immobilised before being smashed apart by the Dreadnought (although there was a little bit of revenge as the resulting blast incapacitated a couple of the marines watching the carnage).

Anyways, that's the Ork Kill Team. Since playing those games, I've also tried out the Deathwatch Kill Team as well as a KT consisting of 14 Genestealers, so, in all honesty, I'm not sure how much more action the Green skins will see, but it was a good project to get wrapped up.

Laters all :D

No comments:

Post a Comment